State Testing


What are the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments (MCAs)?
These are state tests in reading, mathematics, and science used to meet federal/state legislative requirements. They are administered to measure student performance relative to the Minnesota Academic Standards in Math, Reading, and Science. 

Who has to take these state-required MCA tests, and when?
All students in public schools, including charter schools, are required to participate with few exceptions. Reading and Math tests are administered in grades 3–8 and high school (Reading in 10th and Math in 11th). The Science MCA is administered to students in grades 5 and 8 and in high school when Biology is taken. However, a Refusal for Student Participation in Statewide Assessments form can be filed with North Lakes Academy administration at any time to opt-out.

Where does the ACT College Readiness Assessment fit in?
In order to meet the requirements of Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 120B.30,  North Lakes Academy students in grades 11 and 12 are granted an opportunity to participate in a nationally recognized college entrance exam on a school day. The state will pay for one college entrance exam throughout these two grade years. Students will take the ACTs at North Lakes Academy in April.

What are the Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) Tests?
The Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) tests, provided by NWEA, are computerized tests offered in Reading and Math that help our school responds to the growth of our students learning in these subject areas. When taking a MAP test, the difficulty of each question is adaptively based on how accurately  previous questions were answered. While not required by the Minnesota Department of Education, they are one of the most critical tests students at NLA will take.

What other tests will my student taken or be offered to take?
Depending on individual student's individual learning needs, services received, and college/career aspirations, other tests may be taken as well. For example, student receiving English Language Learner services will also take the ACCESS (language proficiency) Tests in addition to the MCAs. Additionally, students with interest in a military career can sign up to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test free of charge.